To make approximately 8 vada paavs
- Potatoes - 4 medium sized (boil and remove the skin)
- Green Chilies - 2 medium sized (finely chop)
- Curry leaves (wash and chop finely)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (chop finely)
- Cilantro - handful (chop finely)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Besan - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - for deep fry
- Garlic chutney
- Green chutney
- Tamarind chutney
Prepare the filling:
- Mash the potatoes and add salt to taste.
- Heat 1 table spoon of oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, when they crackle add cumin seeds, green chilies, curry leaves, garlic, asafoetida and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- Fry for few minutes.
- Add it to the mashed potatoes.
- Add coriander leaves and mix all the ingredients and make them into lemon sized balls and keep aside.
Make the batter:
- Mix besan with water, salt, baking soda, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, asafoetida.
- Beat the mixture and make it into a smooth batter without any lumps.
Make the vada:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Coat each potato ball with the batter.
- Deep fry one by one till it becomes golden brown. Drain excess oil with a napkin.
Arrange the vada paav:
- Toast the paav with butter.
- Spread garlic, green and tamarind chutneys on the paav.
- Keep the vada in the center.
- Serve hot!